[ENH]Html table (second version)

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Aug 27 08:57:00 UTC 2001

John Hinsley wrote:

> "Noel J. Bergman" wrote:
>

> > John Hinsley's table example is very ill-formed.

> Tidy is a nice tool. My main objections to it are that it balances tags
> where they really don't need to be balanced -- unecessarily increasing
> the length of documents is _always_ a bad thing -- and that it inserts
> its own meta tag (see above, plus it's rather rude).

The HtmlParser in the image is basically one method that steps trough
the html and it is looking for balanced tags. A update for it to
deal with html standards would be really nice, but I'm not in the mood
tonight :-)

> What I like about HTML is that I can read a page written to the earliest
> standards in the latest browsers. (Scamper excepted!) If someone sends
> me a Word 2000 .doc as an email attachment I can always reply and tell
> them to send it in another format (if I'm feeling particularly awkward,
> I'll ask for it as dvi). Were my browser to refuse to read HTML to
> earlier standards, I'd be buggered. (Seems to me that this may be
> exactly what Microsoft want.)
I also like this about html. It's a very simple and quite powerful
way to distribute documents. But I agree with Noel here, you can never
rely on the html to be correct so pushing it trough a cleaner is
not the ideal solution, but seems necessary.

> But as I'm not in a position to do any work on it, I wouldn't want to
> enter into any argument about what course Scamper's development should
> follow. Follow your heart, Karl: by doing the work, you've earned that
> right!

First I will pursuit the task of laying out the tables that
the current parser digests. I have some problems with how to
get them to scale properly when no size attributes are given.
Suggestions are welcome :-)

Karl