[ANN] SWT 0.6 released

Andres Valloud sqrmax at prodigy.net
Wed Aug 29 16:03:07 UTC 2001

Hola Rob :))).

> Ok, and you load anything and everything but the SIFConfig, which
> depends on the Module/SemanticModel being around.  Thanks for the
> pointer to the Grooming page.

Oh?... well, actually I tend to load just what I need.  Leaving the rest
out means I don't have to stumble on it while I am dealing with
something else.

> yep, and by extension to what other folks have been doing, the
> Networking, Morphic, MVC, etc. would all be external
> modules/components too.

Exactly.

> The new environment looks great!!!!!!!

While it can be more enjoyable, I'd prefer more beautifully crafted
code.  Squeak has a long history of being a sugar coated turd, if you
excuse my Spanish :).

> I would disagree, although your next paragraph puts it in a different
> light.  The fact is that there are 4 - 5 other people doing this same
> exercise right now.  All it is is an evolving stripper script,
> including code to address Undeclared, Obsolete and so on.  I'm sure
> you *want* people kicking the tires and checking the engine.  This
> includes prepping a release image...

What can I tell you... I just enjoy Tim's messages about how frustrated
he gets.  For starters, he could have saved himself a lot of trouble by
getting the SWT image and loading new stuff into it.  But oh well
:)))... and if it was hard to do with a 2.8 image, I don't want to know
what happened after 1000+ updates!

> yes.  Isn't a large part of that work, 'modularizing' the base
> classes to remove methods that are used by a stripped framework?

Not only that... just removing the horribly tight references is just a
mess.  Believe me: it is not worth doing again.  But oh well.

Andres.