Interval translator (was: Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D Linux (Squeak?) PDA)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 7 18:57:32 UTC 2001

> In a way, I think that's too bad. I'm trying to remember the last time
> in 10 years I actually took advantage of xplatform image portability. I
> can remember two cases. I've done it many more times than that, but
> usually just for a "isn't that cool" grin. I've got two platforms
> (Squeak and VW) that have xplatform binary portability. If Claus does
> this I'll have three, but (IMO) the _best_ Smalltalk for looking at
> image/VM interaction/coupling will no longer be. Sad.

Here's two places I see it helping all the time:

I give most presentations using Squeak, and I like being able to develop
on my Linux box and then display on whatever computer is handy where I'm
giving the talk.

Students working in Squeak can develop their projects either at home or
on any of the university's computers or on any of their group-members'
computers, without any hassle.

-lex