"Rio Ancho " - Paco de Lucia

Sam Adams ssadams at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 23 00:23:36 UTC 2001

Alek Markarian wrote: (among other things)
<<
*  I realy mean to represent bytecode or some other structures
in the language and not just another piano , i know that Squeak
play nice sounds - chalenge is to play itself .
And yes i know that it is a mad idea - but i think that it worth to try

I recall an experiment in sonic system monitoring at a financial firm years
ago.  They generated what we would today call ambient music that signaled
trends in the stock market and played it over the corporate intercom.  If I
recall, pitch indicated overall market volume, and new highs were signified
with either crescendos or crashing waves.  Some one on the list likely
knows more of the detail, but consider the application to Squeak.

 Several of us have used simple unary messages for sonic debugging for
years.  These are simple messages added to Object that return self so they
can be inserted anywhere in your code without impact (except of course in
very time critical sections).  These are variants of the standard
Object>>beep message like burp, chirp, whistle, scream, etc.  Given all the
sound facilities in Squeak, a few of these to indicate standard behaviors
(collection enumeration, branching, instance creation, garbage collection)
might produce an interesting, if not necessarily beautiful, symphony.
Having a unique sound played each time an instance of the same class
recieved a message might also be interesting, albeit a bit more challenging
to implement.

We found this approach especially useful in code where there are lots of
complex collaborations.  One bit of advice is to make the sounds short and
distinct.

Regards,
Sam

Sam S. Adams, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
tie line 444-0736, outside 919-254-0736, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>