Missing routines for 3.0 Unix VM: what's the status?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Thu Feb 8 21:24:59 UTC 2001

At 12:56 08.02.01 +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

>I don't quite understand this.

I was just referring to the two new functions to set and get the sounde
*volume*.  I didn't implement them as I wasn't interested in sound at all.

>   I have a Solaris box (it was a SPARCStation 5, but the CPU is now an
> Ultra 1).  This machine supports sound.  For some reason, Squeak 2.7 and
> 2.8 on Solaris is _not_ support sound.

The unix VM Ian created only supports the Open Sound System which is often
available on Linux but (I think) uncommmon on Solaris.  So there's no sound.

>Will sound work in Squeak 3.0 on a SPARC/Solaris 2.8 box?

No. One would have to add /dev/audio-support to the VM.

bye
--
My eyes adapted to the darkness... finally I can see clearly now