[QUESTION?] Scope (visibility) of variables declared in blocks?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Feb 25 18:16:08 UTC 2001

Lex,

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:40:05 -0500  "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>Yes, but the fix got undone.  At least in 3.0, "[ :i |  ] value: 3.  i"
>returns 3.  The problem is that there are now *two* places temps are
>looked up, and one of them has the code wrong.
>
>I sent out a patch a little while ago to re-instate the scope
>checking.... and then forgot about it.  (Okay, okay, so maybe a bugs and
>fixes database would be a good thing after all).  No idea on whether
>it's in 3.1.  Let's see....  The attached is untested, but it did the
>trick once upon a time.  It should at least give the right idea.

The changes you originally sent and the one you attached to your latest email are in both 3.0 and 3.1. The "fix got undone" part was to allow out-of-scope references to be inspected. Otherwise the debugger lost some of its utility. In both 3.0 and 3.1, actually trying to compile a method

mumble

	self do: [ :i | ].
	i inspect

results in