Plug-ins and Linux

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sun Jul 8 09:55:23 UTC 2001

John Hinsley wrote:

> I thought I'd check up on my plug-ins.
>
> On trying to load HTMR_20-_20Squeak_20Central.003.pr I get GZip
> ReadStream Error. Looks like I need a plug in, but which one(s)?
>
> On trying to run a movie with the Movie Player Morph I get
> MessageNotUnderstood: fileHandle. I'm not sure what this relates to. Any
> ideas?
>
> On trying to load an mpeg, I get a primitive has failed. I guess I need
> a plug-in. Is the source for an mpeg plug-in for *nix out there?
>
> Smalltalk listLoadedModules #('SoundPlugin 17 May 2001 (i)' 'ZipPlugin
> 17 May 2001 (i)' 'LargeIntegers v1.2 17 May 2001 (i)'
> 'UnixOSProcessPlugin 6 May 2001 (e)' 'BitBltPlugin 17 May 2001 (i)'
> 'B2DPlugin 17 May 2001 (i)' 'SecurityPlugin 17 May 2001 (i)' 'FilePlugin
> 17 May 2001 (i)' 'MiscPrimitivePlugin 17 May 2001 (i)')
>
> Of course, this can't be regarded as definitive. My home directory also
> has AsynchFilePlugin.so
> StarSqueakPlugin.so
>
> Squeak3.1alpha, change set #4173
>
> SuSE Linux 6.4.

I'm not that well into the *nix stuff but here is some hints.
Lex Spoon wrote:

I've updated my Unix VM patches page.  Most notably there is now a link
to a "Squeak-lex.tgz" file, which includes the complete build tree I
personally use.  This should be easier than downloading all the
individual patches, applying them, generating new interp.c's etc from
Squeak, and downloading whatever plugins you want--each step is easy but
it sure adds up!  The file includes Mpeg3Plugin and UnixProcessPlugin.
It does not include any OpenGL stuff, because I didn't manage to hunt
that down....

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/

and

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Lex Spoon wrote:

> It does not include any OpenGL stuff, because I didn't manage to hunt
> that down....

I posted the first version a while ago:

        http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/1575.html

but I have attached a slightly newer one. There are minor changes to the
VM, see the NOTES file (and please let me know if I forgot something).

Browse around and the B3DPlugin stuff should be there somewhere...

Hope this helps.

Karl