[BUG] minor MPEG bug under Linux?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Jul 10 08:49:17 UTC 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, John Hinsley wrote:

> Normally I run Squeak from a little icon in Kde. Kde just executes
> "squeak -memory 60mk" (about as much as I can manage in Kde without
> squeezing everything else to death).

That would be "60m", right?

> Now, doing it this way, opening up the MPEGPlayer Morph and pointing it
> at AlienSong.mpg (which everyone seems to use as a test) brings up the
> debuger: error: a primitive has failed.
>
> Running squeak from the command line, I can run the mpeg,

You have the Mpeg plugin in the current directory, so it works.  If you
run Squeak from KDE, the current directory is probably somewhere else, so
the plugin is not found. You can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the
plugin directory.

> but find, on inspecting the Xterm:
>
> john at molehole:~ > squeak
> ioLoadModule(./Mpeg3Plugin.so): ./Mpeg3Plugin.so: undefined symbol:
> mpeg3_total_astreams

Maybe you did not use the latest plugin sources?

> /dev/dsp: No such device

You should disable sound in the preferences, because you don't have sound.

-- Bert