How to Pooh (was: Re: About the wonderful internet browser)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sun Jun 17 10:49:52 UTC 2001

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, John Hinsley wrote:

> Incidentally, I just downloaded the pooh_20testing.004.pr which just
> loads and turns Squeak black with the latest image and changeset but
> loads fine on the older image/changeset I have on my Windows partition.
> (I'm guessing that this is due to it being built for the image built for
> the earlier changesets.)

Probably. It might also be due to a not-yet-published buglet fix in the
B3D code if you're using OpenGL on a little endian platform. The fix is
attached.

> Can anyone point me to:
>
> What I ought to be looking at to get it loading correctly in my up to
> date image/cs. -- Presumably I can file it out and tweak the code?

Not sure. The project seems rather old, there were some significant
changes lately.

> What can I do with Pooh? I see a Wonderland with one line of code and
> get the debugger coming up as soon as I execute it.

Pooh is the equivalent of "draw a morph" for 3D:

0. Make a new Wonderland: "Wonderland new"

1. Bring up the halo on the camera window.

1a. Enlarge the window, enable hardware acceleration from the
    red-handle menu

2. Click the Pooh handle (center of right edge)

3. Draw the outline of an object into the wonderland window. It must be
   one single  stroke that becomes the silhouette. It should not have
   intersections. A circle does nicely for beginners. A fish is cool if
   you are in the NudiBranch project:
     ___
    /   \_/|
   |     _ <
    \___/ \|

4. When you release the mouse button, the outline is "inflated".

5. Bring up a halo on your new object, click the center handle of the
   object.

6. Paint on the objects surface.

7. Bring up the object's halo again, open a viewer (eye handle),
   experiment :-)

-- Bert