[ENH][GOODIE] CommandWindow V1.1 (new release)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon May 28 20:32:15 UTC 2001

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 10:02:10PM +0200, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> > Mostly I just use it as a substitute for xterm. This is handy if you want
> > to run Squeak full screen, or to avoid flipping around different KDE
> > workspaces, or if you are just comfortable being in Squeak and don't
> > want to leave it.
>
> Do you think that Squeak could be used as an alternative to KDE, Gnome,
> Nautilus, Ximian etc. ?

Yes.

As an experiment, edit your .xinitrc to start up Squeak as the "window
manager". If you have OSProcess and CommandWindow loaded, you will find
that the only thing really missing is the code which would put a SystemWindow
frame around the X programs. Well, I'm oversimplifying, but you'll get the
idea as soon as you look at it.

The best bet would be to dig up the C source code for the the simplest
possible X window manager (twm perhaps), and move the key functions into
Squeak. Note that an X window manager does not require OSProcess, and does
not need to run on Unix; it just needs to be able to talk to an X window
server over a socket connection. Any volunteers?

Dave