UI Building Tools in Squeak (was Re: Squeak substitute for Dialog warn:)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon May 21 04:52:58 UTC 2001

Stephen Stafford wrote:

> Is there any kind of UI bulding tool in squeak anywhere BTW?
> I can't seem to find a class that handlkes window creation, but I
> haven't looked all that hard as yet.  Any pointers appreciated, if not
> then I will find it eventually.

There's not really a traditional UI building tool included with Squeak.  However, it is possible to build UI's in Morphic with a bit of effort... see the Morphic page on the Squeak Swiki (linked from squeak.org) for some tutorials on how to use Morphic.

There are a few more organized UI building kits available as addons to Squeak, though.  See another Swiki page at: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/guiBuildingTools

The class that handles window creation (and also represents windows) in Morphic is SystemWindow.  Looking up the class refs (in the class pane menu of the browser) to SystemWindow is a good way to see examples of how windows are created.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com