Squeak for iPAQ

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Sat May 12 00:18:55 UTC 2001

	Hee!

	I've got my iPAQ running Squeak in landscape orientation... at 640x480,
with zoom in/out :)  It's the most hilarious thing I've seen in a while.

	Sadly, it's not all due to Squeak (but I'm working on it). I happened
across a WinCE utility that does fun things with GAPI
(http://www.jimmysoftware.com/Software/Landscape2/index.html). It
provides several new screen resolutions/orientations (240x480, 480x240,
360x480, and 480x640, each in portrait or landscape) in addition to the
normal 240x320 portrait. Amazingly, the resolution of the touch-screen
hardware is perfectly fine at 640x480. It uses the hardware joystick for
panning while zoomed, effectively creating four virtual desktops. The
default Squeak font is even readable, although certainly teeny-weeny
(and I changed to a larger one)... The utility isn't open-source or even
freely available (ten bucks for a download), but the amusement alone was
worth it, since it Just Works. You do have to compile Squeak with GAPI
turned off, though, to let the utility do its thing.

	So I find it harder to dump WinCE for Linux now, although I also
noticed that there's finally a ROM upgrade
(ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/SP16501-17000/SP16986.exe) which has a
tool for ROM image backup/restore.

	I got my AudioConfetti demo running
(http://netjam.org/self/projects/smalltalk/sources/streamingAudio1g1.zip)
on the iPAQ also, doing streaming audio from a file (on the iPAQ's RAM
filesystem :) with slicing and dicing. Now I have a stealth device for
playing really weird music into people's home stereos. :)

	Noel writes:

> > Switching away from Squeak [on a WinCE iPAQ], and back, is not
> > reliable.
>
> How do <i>you</i> switch away?
>
> Select the keyboard SIP.  Once the SIP is exposed, the Q button
> works for me as, I suspect, would the other hardware buttons.

	Oops, for a while I had forgotten that Squeak has a non-full-screen
mode (and I had in turn forgotten about the keyboard SIP). ;)  Thanks...

	Yoshiki writes:

> ...new project tree...

	Thanks! This is great stuff.

-C