web application frameworks in Squeak?

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Fri May 25 20:56:11 UTC 2001

At 01:15 PM 5/25/2001 -0700, Michael Rueger wrote:

>John Hinsley wrote:
>
> > Apache (or whatever) + MySQL (or whatever) + PHP. It can be made to work
>And there is always Java ;-)

There's always Smalltalk.

It's not open-source, or even cheap, but for non-commercial purposes it's
free. It hooks into the back-end behind Apache, IIS, and pretty much
anything else, using CGI, FastCGI (like CGI, but... wait for it... fast),
ISAPI, and others so that your static content can be served statically, and
your dynamic content served dynamically. It's not nearly as ambitious as
running Squeak projects directly in the browser, but it does have
web-"standard" mechanisms, including ASP, JSP, and servlet protocol. It's
Smalltalk, so Squeak code should run with minimal work.

Of course you don't really need a front-end web server. The number 30 web
site in the world in terms of volume (10K hits/minute) runs on this core
technology with Smalltalk doing all the web serving.

There's  Bruce Badger's connect to Postgresql (which I prefer to MySQL, but
let's not open that can of worms) as well as all the standard non-free
databases, and comes complete with the non-commercial version of a
full-blown industrial-strength OODB (Gemstone).

My biggest caveat would be that the really interesting new stuff is only
just going into beta, to ship later this summer. However, if someone is
really interested in this stuff and willing to give some serious feedback
I'll see what I can do about getting early access.

> > But I wondered, looking through the Sqiki stuff, extrapolating snippets
> > from
> > this list, just what it'd take to do a web application framework in
> > Squeak,
> > perhaps using Comanche as a basis? (It'd be nice to use an OODB, too!)
>
>One thing that would be really nice to have would be something like the
>Java/Tomcat people are doing.
>You run a "real" web server like apache and delegate only the
>interesting calls to an out of process Servlet/Squeaklet engine
>communicating over a socket based communication (AJP12/AJP13 that would
>be for tomcat).
>I didn't have the time yet to look into how much that would take, but it
>would provide the best of both worlds.

That's pretty much exactly what FastCGI is, but if you really like the
JServ protocol, Josh Miller did an implementation of this under GPL at
jdmsoft.com. He's got a MySQL driver too.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
knight at acm.org
aknight at cincom.com
http://www.cincom.com/scripts/smalltalk.exe/downloads/index.asp