[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 5 20:31:10 UTC 2001

You're right that your patch is fine for people experimenting with
Celeste.  I guess it's worth putting in for that reason alone.  I was
against it before because it doesn't solve the problem for heavier
Celeste users, but...  what you propose is certainly better than what we
have now!

By the way:

> [mailDB allMessages do: [ :id |
> 	(mailDB getMessage: id) fields]] timeToRun
>
> This would be approximately how long my scheme took (substituting the
> message #uidl for #fields).

This gets pretty much the same result (226 seconds this time), because
the getMessage: is having to  go to disk.  I bet our timings aren't
proportional because your messages file fit into disk buffers.

Now if only the uidl's were stored in the index file....

-Lex