Large unix files... & OS-X

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Tue Oct 9 04:12:41 UTC 2001

I too would like to get around the 31 character filename limit.

Don't want to open a huge can of worms, but...

Is it true that most of the platforms running Squeak support memory mapped
files?  MacOS X now has this support...  This is one new feature that
could be exploited more in Squeak.  I've still not played with Image
Segments, and some of my images grow really large because of multimedia
resources within them.

If platforms support memory mapped files in some coherent way, it would be
possible to expose data to the Squeak object memory without necessarily
having it part of the virtual image.  One might imagine an ExternalForm
which uses this mechanism to end up with HUGE numbers of pictures.  The
same thing might be true for making big movies with Squeak.

I'm out of my element, but would be curious to hear the opinions of the
experts.

-Eric