Base64 encoded problem + Leibniz & Kant

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 12:35:11 UTC 2001

Maarten Maartensz wrote:

> I use Windows98 (lacking the time to learn the technicalities to get Linux
> properly working) and
> I've got a problem with the Squeak-digest material the last days that
> includes Base64 encoded material. It crashes my mail-reader; it crashes
> QuickView Plus (that's capable of reading hundreds of file-types
> flawlessly), and in order to read the digest I'm forced to read it under DOS.

I don't think this *is* a windows problem, but a problem with your set
up or your mail reader (what are you using?) as I've not heard of this
one. Hypothesese:

It's trying to open .gz files and choking.

It's confused by .cs.gz and choking. (Does it crash on plain .cs?).

>From what you're saying, this started to happen recently: have you
changed anything? Installed anything?

There's absolutely no way that the base 64 encoding can be changed: it
doesn't seem to cause problems for anyone else on the list (many of whom
use Windows -- Linux users are probably a minority here) and, more
importantly, these .cs.gz base 64 attachments are actually changesets
produced by Squeak for Squeak.

As for the philosophical thread on Kant and Computing (!) I'd like to
quote Imre Lakatos: "So what?"

Cheers

John

But thanks for the links!

--
If you don't care about your data, like file systems which automagically
destroy themselves and have money to burn on 3rd party tools to keep