[ENH][SF] VMMaker platforms tree now imported to SourceForge.net

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 25 22:18:33 UTC 2001

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> is widely believed to have written:

> Ok... I couldn't get it to work entirely correctly; here's my notes:
>
> configuration: src directory under Squeak directory
> platforms directory somewhere else.
>
> Remove the src directory.
> Start VMMaker.
> Tell it where the directories are.
> make a config with all internal.
> Tell it "generate all".
> src directory is populated.
> chmod +x configure util/*
> ./configure
> make
OK, that's about the expected sequence of things except that once
FileCopyPlugin is built and available you shouldn't have to do the chmod
stuff. Oh, except I see you mentioned that permissions appear to be
broken on the SF tree - I'm afraid I have no idea how to fix that other
than by checking them out and checking them back after doing chmod. Is
there any better way?

> error:
>
> gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLSB_FIRST=1
> -funroll-loops -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUNIX
> -DSQ_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.1a-4164\" -I. -I../src/vm  -c -o
> Mpeg3Plugin.o ../src/vm/Mpeg3Plugin.c
> In file included from ../src/vm/Mpeg3Plugin.c:23:
> ../src/vm/Mpeg3Plugin.h:1:38: changesForSqueak.h: No such file or directory
> ../src/vm/Mpeg3Plugin.h:2:30: libmpeg3.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [Mpeg3Plugin.o] Error 1
New problem; I've never tried to build Mpeg3Plugin becasue I thought it
wasa mac only thing. One of the most recent changes was to 'fix' that.
I do vaguely recall seeing a make file for mpeg3 in the directory and
somehow it will need integrating into the main unix make stuff. Which
reminds me that somebody that actually understands the autoconf stuff
needs to work it over. I just hacked until I could make a VM; I'm pretty
sure that I remembered to put tpr initials by each edit. Ned? Lex?
Anyone?

[snip]
> OK, try again, without the Mpeg3Plugin at all.
>
> rm -rf src
> mkdir src (not sure this is necessary)
It is currently neccessary, unfortunately, to do the rmdir to clean
things out. No need for the mkdir though. I'd like to work out a way to
cleanly delete unwanted directories, check for file timestamps and only
copy newer ones etc, but another day - or another person!

> re-start VMMaker (if I don't the directory doesn't get constructed/files
> copied).
... I should probably stop caching the FileDirectory instances and
thereby avoid this. What happens is that the cached subdirectories are
assumed to already exist when clearly they don't anymore. Sigh, just
another part of file handling that needs reworking.

> choose "all internal"
>
> remove Mpeg3Plugin from internal list (move to available)
>
> re-generate all
>
> cd src
> chmod +x configure util/*
> ./configure
> make
>
> _now_ I get a squeak...
Sounds like what I would have expected. Congratulations.

tim

Useful Latin Phrases:- Furnulum pani nolo = I don't want a toaster.