Debian and SqueakL revisited again...(was Re: Debian source package)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 26 00:35:43 UTC 2001

> To be blunt, perhaps Andrew and a couple of other serious thinkers on this topic might propose (or collect from the past) two or three stages of possible improvement to our license, sorted by benefit.  I will then at least coordinate opinions from SqC, and set about getting an informal opinion from Apple.

Wow!  Let's do it, guys!

The big things that I know of:

	1. Indemnification.  This is a major strain on software distributors.
Plus, it probably doesn't help Apple significantly: what could they
possibly be sued about regarding Squeak?!

	2. Export restrictions.  An impediment to distribution.  In fact, I'd
think they actually put current ftp site maintainers under some risk, if
anyone ever stops to think about it.  Again, I'd be surprised if these
things really protect Apple very much, but what do I know.

	3. Fonts re-agreement.  Since we can replace the fonts, I'd rather we

	4. Requirement to post modifications.  This is impossible to enforce,
so...  why put it in there?

-Lex