[OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 01:44:25 UTC 2001

"Richard A. O'Keefe" wrote:

> I have two concerns.
> (1) The chilling effect of US legislation on other countries.
>     It has already been pointed out in comp.risks that some people in other
>     countries are afraid of what might happen if they work on crypto and then
>     visit the USA, thanks to the DCMA.

Well, that's not a dumb thought: if I remember correctly, Alan Cox has
already cancelled one trip to the States for this very reason. (Cox is,
amongst many other things, one of the key Linux kernel folk.)

>From Linux Today:

>Alan Cox has resigned from USENIX and suggested that
>other developers should avoid US conferences while the
>DMCA remains in force. The International Information Hiding Workshop,
>threatened over research on SDMI, is moving to the Netherlands.

It does seem to this European that the US is letting the tail wag the
dog. Maybe all software developers should move to Cuba?

Cheers

John
--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: