How to notify user as to acceptable drop targets?

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Mon Apr 15 19:18:49 UTC 2002

At 11:05 AM -0700 4/15/02, Ned Konz wrote:

>I'm still not sure how to handle the UI aspects of refusing connection
>(i.e. how would you avoid inheritance loops, multiple inheritance,
>etc. in a class diagram?). The obvious way right now would be to just
>not connect if it were an illegal connection, but you wouldn't know
>until you dropped the end of the connection on something that it
>didn't want to connect to.
>
>Better, probably, would be to give the user some kind of feedback as
>to allowable connections.
>
>Suggestions?

I haven't used drag and drop within Squeak much, but here's my
general UI preferences for dragging.

I've always rather liked interfaces that give visual feedback on
allowable drop targets, something like:

If you're dragging something and you move over a valid target to drop
it on, the target highlights.
If you move on, the highlighting goes away.
If you release the mouse button when you're over a highlighted
target, you've dropped on that target.
If you release the mouse button when you aren't over a highlighted
target, the thing you're dragging animates a 'snap back' to where you
dragged it from.

When the drop target is a large area that you're placing the dropped
object in, the highlighting can be something like a border around the
area.

To make this work, the d'n'd framework has to send a message to each
potential target as you pass over it to see if it would accept the
dragged object. If this slows things down too much, you could wait
until the user has paused over a potential target for a few hundred
milliseconds before sending the message.

Morph>>wantsDroppedMorph:event: might be able to be used for this,
but I haven't looked to see when it's sent.

-Martin