O'Reilly Squeak book?

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Apr 16 19:19:40 UTC 2002

Thanks Ned --

At 9:34 AM -0700 4/16/02, Ned Konz wrote:
>On Tuesday 16 April 2002 10:06 am, Alan Kay wrote:
>>  I think that Squeak needs something of the size and scope of the
>>  Ruby and/or REBOL books. This would describe a subset, but still it
>>  would be tremendously useful, particularly in the UI and Media
>>  implementation areas.
>
>Which Ruby book are you referring to? "Programming Ruby" (The
>"Pickaxe" book) (by Dave Thomas and Andy Hunt) or Matz's O'Reilly
>book "Ruby in a Nutshell"?

I was thinking of the latter.

>Any book effort will have to deal with the fact that Squeak is very
>much a moving target, especially in the UI and Media implementation
>areas. Aren't there already examples in Mark's first book that don't
>work with 3.2?

Well, I think a rounded off cut a la "Stable Squeak" should be the
target, but with a nice list of minimal criteria for coverage of
multimedia, UI, etc. I'm sure that Ruby and REBOL continue to
progress, but just not as much out in the open as on the Squeak list.
This is where a "Stable Squeak" or "Squeak Foundation" would really
help, namely to put out a real release that satisfies "a list" and
that then can have a useful subset documented.

Cheers,

Alan