Vote now! (was Re: straw-man 3.2 default preferences)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Apr 19 12:29:51 UTC 2002

Jon Hylands <jon at huv.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:06:43 +0100, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > Don't let all these gray-stripe-Windows-users drag us down to the boring
> > bottomless pit of white backgrounds! :-) Who knows, the next thing they
> > may come up with is removing the mouse logo! Stop this nonsense right
> > NOW:
>
> Heh heh.
>
> I seem to recall that the original request was something like this:
>
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:37:36 -0700, Scott Wallace
> <scott.wallace at squeakland.org> wrote:
>
> > Instead, hopefully we can arrive at a reasonable, clean, consistent
> > initial look and feel that will provide an agreeable point of
> > departure for new users...
>
> The point is to make something that welcomes new users in, which means
> something that is not to radically different visually from what they're
> used to. Squeak has enough stuff inside it that sets it apart...

Sure! But I think the colors are very warm and welcoming! Seriously. My
posting was on the other hand a bit ironic.

I don't think visuals is that important actually - what matters is
predictability and "findability".
If it looks like a button but is not or if it doesn't look like a
scrollbar but in fact is etc.
With findability I refer to good stuff that people just miss because
they don't know where to look.

People are much less hung up on visuals than we/they generally
say/think.

But hey, I really don't care that much - I know how to change the
Preferences! :-)

regards, Göran