Squeak3.2 for linux

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 14 09:21:01 UTC 2002

Hi Ian

Thanks for all this information
On mercredi, août 14, 2002, at 10:07  AM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Grab the .sources, .image/changes and whichever architecture-dependent VM
> tarball(s) you need from
>
>   www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak
>
> (I think the image tarball is still at 4917 -- I'll update it to 4952
> later today given that [i] Scott seems to have slowed down on new
> updates, and [ii] it might make your life easier.)

Great.

I update manually to 4952 the win and mac full distribution for the cd.
for the linux distribution I cannot easily do it.  So I will wait for you
but I'm in rush can you send me an email when you have done it.

>> I have the impression that the squeak distribution is lacking a real
>> packaging for limux.
>
> I make tarballs (which extract and self-install into /usr/local on any
> Unix system) and RPMs (which install into /usr on RedHat/YellowDog/any
> RPM-based distrib) of : the current .sources, a (usually) up-to-date
> image/changes, and the latest VMs for Linux/PPC, Linux/386 and Solaris.
> (Whatever "mess" anyone else might create by repackaging the contents of
> the above is totally out of my control.)
>
> There are even full instructions for the Unix-illiterate at
>
>   www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/download.html

Great. Can the person responsible of the www.squeak.org site put a pointer
to the page of Ian.

> I think Lex Spoon makes the .deb packages.  (I'm not sure what from, but
> suspect he can be trusted implicitly to get it right.)
>
> What other kind of "packaging" did you have in mind?

None in fact I dropped linux before packages exist :). So your tarballs
looks ok for me.

> For a CD, I would suggest you use the tarballs since they will work
> regardless of what kind of package management is used locally.  (Plus,
> being installed in /usr/local, it's utterly obvious what to delete to
> effect a "manual uninstall" later.  If you really think an uninstall
> script is vitally important, just ask for one.)
>
> The only reason I don't make "full" distributions is that I'd have to make
> 12 tarballs/RPMs (of dubious utility) containing close to 50 MB of stuff
> each.  If you really want a huge snapshot of a full installation then you
> only need to ask and I'll make a "one-off" just for you.

I know and understand. For me you are the expert so tell me what would be
the best and I will put it on the cd.

>> Thanks for any information, else I will drop linux for our cd.
>
> That would be a pity, given the amount of effort I put into making the
> tarballs trivial to use (not to mention updated automatically from source
> every night).

I agree. I spent so much time collecting all the material for the cd that
I would like not to miss
the linux distribution.

Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/