Toch weer antwoord: RE: Antwoord: Squeak Internationalization (vo orheen: Re: AW: AW: -- Whats this 'AW:' mean?)

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
Mon Feb 4 22:30:45 UTC 2002

The dreanm he did share with Esperanto and Ino?

> 	I think that I even can remember one Dutch word that could not
> 	be translated in American English: gezellig.
>
> In one sense, translation is always impossible.
> The English word "the" doesn't seem to have an *EXACT* translation in
> any European language; "the" in places where it shouldn't be
> and missing from places where it should is a very common sign that an
> author is not
> an American with a European name but a real European.
> What of it?  Enough of the meaning of a _text_ can usually be
> got through.
>
> One method of translation is incorporation.  Words like
> "taonga", "iwi", and so on are very commonly found in New
> Zealand newspapers
> and nobody bothers to translate them.  If it became important
> to a group of American English speakers to talk about "gezellig", they
> would probably learn what it meant and then use the Dutch word.
>
> I agree on that: doggybag, OK, IQ, TV, SHIT, FUCK, are normal Dutch words
these days

> 	Don't you expect to meet this time that kind of cultural context
> 	problems?
>
> What kind of cultural context problems?  The word in question, "re",
> is one which English picked up *untranslated* from European culture.
> It appears that replies that continue concerning the same
> matter are as much part of Low Countries culture as they are of the
English
> cultures.

I do not say that we cannot agree on a shortlist for replay-header-starts.
I have my doubts that such a list (Or the language Bliss) brings us closer
in understanding each other: it is just liek tagging in XML: not the tags
themselve create a better understanding but the grammar and the syntax we
agree on to use these tags in which situation...