[Slightly OT] Source code management

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 7 20:15:59 UTC 2002

ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> on 6/02/02 1:36 PM, Cees de Groot at cg at home.cdegroot.com wrote:
>
> > Andreas Raab <Andreas.Raab at gmx.de> said:
> >> [...]. In particular, the discussion at
> >> http://www.regexps.com/linus.html sounded very much like what we'd be
> >> interested in, e.g., rather than having a single centralized repository
> >> we might look into decentralized "nodes" of some sort.
> >>
> > I'm spoiled with this by VW's StORE, and it's really great to have it. My
> > image has links to the Cincom StORE repository for pre-releases of Cincom
> > packages and public domain stuff, to a shared repository where you can put
> > your "task complete and all green lights" stuff, and to a repository on my
> > local machine so I can have private branches and projects.
> >
> > I'll never, ever, go back to a single central repository without a lot of
> > screaming and kicking ;-)
> Same for me (even if the mac support could be better, sometimes I think to
> use virtual pc  ;)

What sort of repository, and where it is located is completely
uninteresting to most of us; indeed it had better be because if you have
to care much it implies the tools aren't good enough. As long as it
works ok for all reasonable platforms and is accessible with something
we can write in squeak, who cares?

However, _right now_ cvs on Sourceforge has a killer advantage; it is
there, it works ok, we can access it easily, it has a working set of
code on it. Oh, and SF seems reasonably likely to be around
for a while and they do backups for us. Debating what _ought_ to be is
fine and good, but in this case it does not need to prevent profitable
use of what _is_ until what ought to be can be provided.

tim

Useful Latin Phrases:- Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione = I'm not interested in your dopey religious cult.