[Q] Setting the size of the OS host window

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Sun Feb 17 10:39:56 UTC 2002

On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 08:32 PM, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Hannes Hirzel <hirzel at spw.unizh.ch> is claimed by the authorities to
> have written:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Is it possible to implement a message #extent: for the Display
>> in a cross-platform way so that I can do something like
>>
>> Display extent: 800 @ 600.
>>
>> And get Squeak to resize it's host operating system window accordingly.
> This is how I change window size on Acorn;
> 	Display setExtent: a at b depth: foo
> and I trap the ioSetDisplay() routine to remake the Host OS window. I'm
> sure it could be done for most other platforms, if it hasn't already.

Hmm, I just tried this, and the ioSetDisplay() routine doesn't get
called.  It seems to be invoked from the DisplayScreen class method

  depth: depthInteger width: widthInteger height: heightInteger
fullscreen: aBoolean
	"Force Squeak's window (if there's one) into a new size and depth."
	"DisplayScreen depth: 8 width: 1024 height: 768 fullscreen: false"

	<primitive: 92>
	self primitiveFail

However, there are apparently no senders of this message in the system.

Directly sending  DisplayScreen depth:width:... does work as expected,
but   Display extent:  just flashes within the window without actually
resizing it.

This is with a Squeak 3.2gamma 4743 image.

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com