Impacts of the squeak garbage collector

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 18 15:18:02 UTC 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Marcel Weiher wrote:

> Just a thought:  since the macro-benchmarks are doing full-GCs between
> each benchmark (not timed), could it be that the performance
> improvements are just artifacts of the benchmarking process?

Yep.. I checked for that and hacked up macrobenchmarks to not preallocate
all but 10mb of RAM, and second, to not GC at all, and got an slightly
greater speedup. (But, this is slightly cheating, as it leaves 10-20 megs
of garbage in oldspace behind which I must count by amortizing them as
about an additional second/two of GC time to remove later.

Scott