[Modules]Proposal of minimal module metainfo

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Mon Feb 18 16:51:04 UTC 2002

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> Homepage: Url
> to homepage of module if applicable.

This is redundant--the module path is automatically translated into an
actual path. So we don't need this.

>License: Url to license. Mandatory.

I suggest Squeak-L as default, unless another one is explicitly given.
Hopefully almost no one will specify one then!

> Author: Name and email according to mail standard (like "Henrik Gedenryd
> <h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk>") Maintainer: Name and email according to mail
> standard. Mandatory. Keywords: A bunch of keywords mostly for better
> searching ---

> Question: Should this information be mandatory for all standalone modules? I
> would think so.
>
> NOTE: This is the proposed MINIMAL info. Dependencies etc. are already
> covered in the module. Even though I would consider adding a few other
> relations between modules like for example "Conflicts with" and "Replaces"
> (inspired again by Debian). But that is again something for the module
> definition itself and not for this "module meta card".
>

> PS. The next part is the hard part - how do we make all this metainformation
> available and up to date? I have some ideas and will post later. DS

Umm, you just put it in the module's .def file? It is then written whenever
the module is written, and loaded along with it. This is probably the most
straightforward solution.