[UNIX][VM] config file (was: Re: SerialPort cross-platform question...)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Feb 27 11:35:52 UTC 2002

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Lex Spoon wrote:

> > * it's not clear how to tell how many or what serial ports exist under Unix.
>

> I think ultimately Squeak/Unix is going to need a configuration file.
> Then, the config file can list where the ports are.  Suitable defaults
> can be given for common Unices.  At that point, numbered ports will make
> sense again.

A short-term solution would be to just add a SQUEAK_TTYS environment
variable, as this is how configuration is done currently.

OTOH, a config file would be nice, indeed. How about "/etc/squeakrc",
overridable by a "$(HOME)/.squeakrc"? Or, do we want to have a
"$(HOME)/.squeak/" directory?

I'm also updating the browser plugin: a lot of people don't use Netscape4
anymore, so the default location in "$(HOME)/.netscape/squeak/" is
inappropriate. I think "$(HOME)/.npsqueak/" would do fine - or should it
be "$(HOME)/.squeak/npsqueak/" (see above) instead?

-- Bert