Porting Squeak

Gary McGovern gary.play at btopenworld.com
Mon Jan 14 21:41:22 UTC 2002

Thanks John,
That's cool. I was hoping someone would mention that a lot
of research went into the Smalltalk languge / syntax but
in the case of Java it was devised by a C++ programmer
trying to make a more understandable / readable
C++.(That's what my C++ college tutor said about Java [He
also said it was because JG couldn't understand multiple
inheritance. But I thought he went a bit too far there]).I
think Squeak is superior on all fronts including the
language. So the decision seems well justified
technologically.

Gary

13/01/02 07:41:10, John.Maloney at disney.com wrote:

>At 10:05 PM +0000 1/12/02, Gary McGovern wrote:
>>Thank you very much John, that's good information. But
I'm quite sure Squeak
>>Central could have manipulated Java to have those
features (licenses
>>permitting).
>
>Well, I suppose we could have built our own Java VM, then
added
>the dynamic programming features, although I'm not sure
we could have
>called the resulting system "Java". But I think that all
of us felt that
>if we were going to build a VM ourselves, we might as
well build a
>Smalltalk VM. Remember, when we started Squeak we really
didn't
>plan to create an open source language; that happened a
year later.
>Orginally we simply wanted a vehicle for our research
into kids
>programming environments.
>

>>It's not just the kids that like dynamic programming ;-
),I like it and I'm
>>sure NASA would find it useful. As I originally said, I
prefer the Squeak
>>technology. I was thinking people.
>
>You're right, there are a lot of Java and C/C++
programmers out there.
>But we've got a lot of terrific Squeak programmers right
here! More
>people isn't necessary better; quality people are
probably more important.
>Furthermore, we've had good success in using open-source
C libraries
>from Squeak: the MPEG and JPEG libraries are two good
examples.
>So we actually do leverage some of the open source work
done in C/C++.

>For professional programming, Squeak has two
disadvantages. First,
>you can't compile a small, stand-along executable. Of
course, the same is
>true of Java. Second, Squeak makes management very
nervous. Most managers
>are happiest doing the "safe" thing, the thing that
everyone else does, which
>is C++ or Java. Fortunately, in education and research
settings, these issues