Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?

Swan, Dean Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Tue Jul 16 00:10:32 UTC 2002

Aaron,

	I have run Squeak on my Casio E-105, which is also based on WinCE 2.11, and running on a NEC VR-4121 MIPS CPU.  I haven't really tried a new VM since Squeak 2.7.  If you're really going with one of the NEC HPCs, why not the MobilePro 880?  It's mostly the same ast the 770/790, but has an 800x600 screen.

	Also, I wouldn't overlook the Jornada 720, 728, or 820, as they are ARM based just like the iPaq.  You should be able to run the same VM from your iPaq on them.  The Jornada 820 can be had on eBay for about $300-ish (USD).

							-Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron J Reichow [mailto:reic0024 at d.umn.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 7:27 PM
To: squeak list
Subject: Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?

'ullo all!

Out of WinCE Squeak users here, I imagine most are using iPAQs.  I am
curious if there is anyone using Squeak on top of WinCE 2.11 on a MIPS
processor successfully. I am thinking about getting a NEC MobilePro
770-790, mostly to get keyboard, bigger screen, and VGA out, but before I
do so, I want to make sure Squeak works fine on it, as Squeak is what I'm
running 75% of the time I'm on my iPAQ now.

Since I am considering getting a NEC MobilePro, I am looking to sell my
iPAQ 3150 and iPAQ Compact Flash sleeve.  This iPAQ has been what I've
been using for Dynapad development and runs Squeak pretty well.  Before I
take it to eBay, if there's anyone vaguely interested in it, send me an
email and I can reply with information.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws"  :: m. l. king jr.