Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Tue Jul 16 17:50:39 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 10:32:45AM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:

[snip]

> Hopefully they've finally (after at least a couple of years I think)
> fixed the compiler, or their code simply doesn't trigger the problem.
> It's something to do with function prologues and floating point
> instructions and the float emulator/library in use. I tried getting some
> interest from the toolchain caretakers but it didn't seem to excite them
> much. I think Kevin & Yoshiki were also trying to get some assistance -
> both for Zaurus stuff if I remember right. I'd like to find a fixed
> compiler/whatever to suit my old netwinder so  could actually use it for
> something. It would allow me to compile an optimised visualworks as
> well.
>
> tim

Yes, I do recall that...I described to the (presumably) ARM GCC people
what I was seeing and how it was happening...I don't recall much coming
from that beyond "It doesn't sound like the same bug we're thinking of..."
The optimization bug I was seeing was on an ARM machine used for linux/iPaq
builds (owned by the handhelds.org folks)...I'm pretty sure it's the same
bug everyone is seeing, as I tracked it down on the old Netwinder site at
one time.

I haven't kept up with any of the GCC ARM stuff but I sincerely hope they
track this annoyance down.  I know that as of GCC 3.0 they had not.