<squeak version>.out window

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jun 18 04:15:51 UTC 2002

	From squeak-dev-admin at lists.squeakfoundation.org Tue Jun 18 05:50:28 2002
	From: "Duane Maxwell" <dmaxwell at san.rr.com>
	To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
	Subject: Re: <squeak version>.out window
	Sender: squeak-dev-admin at lists.squeakfoundation.org
	Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:46:33 -0700

I wrote:
	> Oh yes, the Macintosh menu bar has turned strange.
	> Now it reads
	> (Apple) File Edit (Apple) File Edit Help ...... (clock) (Icon) Squeak 3.0
	> and the second (Apple) item brings up "About SIOUX".
	> Selecting Quit from the second File menu shut Squeak down entirely.
	>
	> I *think* a runaway recursion (from a divide-and-conquer gone ever so
	> slightly wrong) was the cause, but I don't understand the symptom.

Duane Maxwell replied:
	Certain Mac libraries implement this as a way of handling console output.
	It means the VM wrote to stdout or stderr.

I've used SIOUX frequently myself.  That's not the problem.

	It prepends some menus before
	the specific application's in order to do some additional things (typically
	print or save the output, though I don't think it was completely
	implemented).

In fact the additional menus are *appended*, not prepended.
That's not the problem.

The problem is
 *that* the VM wrote to stdout or stderr;
 *what* the VM wrote (what does it mean?);
 what to *do* about it, if anything, other than File|Quit.