Jython vs Squeak for teaching multimedia

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Wed Jun 26 10:01:05 UTC 2002

Hello,

I was reading this thread silencely. But I read some extrange arguments and I'd like to share with you my point of view.

Supose that tomorrow the market says "To program is like to cook", we'll find a lot of people wanting to learn to cook, isn't it?  But most of them don't realize the diference between cooking and programming.  So they decide to go to school/university to learn from a group of people that know the diference.

I don't want to spent (again) a lot of time in a discussion about sintax. But i found easier to teach ST sintax than Java, C++ or Python sintax.  Of course if you teach in a way like: "the IF in ST is like that, the WHILE in ST is like that, etc, etc" instead of teaching "object and messages" the sintax is not clear.

In my opinion is a BIG mistake to teach object paradigm with other languaje than ST or Self.

Cheers,

Diego Gomez Deck