[Q][Celeste] address book and auto-save

rwithers12 at attbi.com rwithers12 at attbi.com
Fri Mar 15 03:50:58 UTC 2002

Hi Lex,

Um, we somehow seem to be missing each other on this idiom discussion.
Have you ever used Outlook or Eudora? :)   You know how they have some
extra columns and highlighting, which basically allows one to annotate
the emails with 'flagged' or 'unread'?  This is the idiom I am thinking
of - not the category idiom.  I see your point that you can use filters
and categories to do the same kind of thing, especially since you can
put the same msg in multiple categories.  It is just taking getting use
to.

Being able to add annotations to emails isn't like "It would be like
having syntax for if statements, when you have blocks".   It is more
like having modules that can be marked dirty and un/loaded and
un/installed.  These annotations would alter the way we view a module in
the UI by being emphasized and perhaps a different color, when they are
dirty.

Well, well, I am learning more as I go.  I just found out about two
settings in preferences for Celeste.  celesteHasStatusPane and
celesteShowsAttachmentsFlag.   I also came across the method #format,
but I couldn't see it in a menu.  This took me to tocKeystoke: and I see
a few accelerators are defined.  I can't seem to do alt-<downarrow>, though.

Ahhh, it is drag and drop.  That will make it easier.  :)

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > I did this.  It worked!   I found my lost mail or it found me,
>
> Great to hear!  Though it sucks that the UI didn't bring out this
> feature....

It is in the menu, but I just didn't know that the MailDB was even recoverable.
I think it is fantastic that it is and now I have a consistent
cross-platform email reader!  One other item I would like, is the fetch and
send buttons in the button bar.

Something I may look into is a settings page, like Stephan Wessel's
Enhanced IRC Client has.  This way we could specify the path the the
MailDB.  Carry it around on a floppy, or better, one of those USB
harddrive pens.

> Once upon a time, John Maloney made a tutorial for Celeste that was in
> the form of a Celeste database.  You open the database, and the messages
> in the database would step you forward.

I would like to see this, if it is still available.

Rob