Squeak on framebuffer?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 26 18:09:44 UTC 2002

Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at vsnl.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have an idea about how to get Squeak running on raw framebuffer?
Yup. The Itsy port does exactly that, but one would need to make sure that whatever input devices are used can be integrated as well. X does more than just the display, it provides the input. When I wrote the Itsy code I had access to the guys that made it which helped enormously since I could get them to change the libraries to be helpful.

In principle it is easy; open /dev/fb, do whatever ioctl junk is needed, open /dev/mouse (or touchscreen or whatever) and set it up and there y'go. There are important details however, like handling the pixel endianness & RGB layout right. With extra trickery one can also save memory by making the screen buffer memory actually be part of the Display form bitmap - like I do on the Acorn port.

tim

My computer NEVER cras