Apple hyping java...

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Mar 29 22:12:39 UTC 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> Internally, Apple does everything in ObjectiveC.  They view it as a sort
> of secret weapon though.  The Java stuff is to get the J-Heads over to
> the Mac.  Once there, I believe it is hoped they will look around at the
> Cocoa stuff and maybe give it a whirl.  If they do, they'll be hooked.

That's all fine and dandy, except for you can use the Cocoa frameworks
from Java.  No incentive to switch to Objective-C, other than for a little
speed increase.  One of Java's main design goals was to be natural for
"average" programmers (see the Arc page for such rants), and it seems that
most "average" programmers seem to have problems groking something new and
different- like Obj-C's calling syntax.  But we can hope, right? :)

> Also, in their defense, squeak is not a production platform.

Speak for yourself.  It may not be marketed as such, but there are a
handful of us who use it for such.  One of the things I use Squeak for is
ecology research.  Real analysis.  Visualization of real data, looked at
by real biologists.  For me, Java is less of a production platform and
more of a toy than Squeak is, but that's related to the way that *I* use
Java and Squeak.

> Oh yeah, Java SUCKS.

Too true!

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "the end of the human race will be that it will eventually
      die of civilization. "                          :: r. w. emerson