Remote access to Celeste db?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed May 1 04:45:10 UTC 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Hmm, how about some sort of web access to Celeste as well? Craig & I
> have considered trying a telnet server in Flow for another project. Or
> would making Celeste work with IMAP be useful? - or even make an IMAP server?

I'd definately be interested in seeing Celeste work with an IMAP server.
Not particularily weak IMAP support, where it acts just like the current
POP way of doing things (SimpleMail for Newton's IMAP support is like
this).

> The main thing I'd like to see sorted out in Celeste is not fetching
> messages twice when leaving messages on thre server. This would make it
> easy to use at home and on the road.

Indeed.  That change and one other would make Celeste better in this
respect. That feature is a remote-delete option. SimpleMail for the Newton
did this with POP mailboxes. When you download all messages, it leaves
them on the server.  When you delete a message, you have the option of
removing it just from the server, just from the Newton, or both.  You
could set a default action.

However, for a POP mailbox, this would only work for the INBOX, and
consequently, I'm still interested in hacking together some other means of
accessing all of my Celeste data.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws"  :: m. l. king jr.