[Modules] Celeste now unloads and loads clean, just not into other images...

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat May 11 20:03:56 UTC 2002

I hope people will see what some of the practical problems in Modules
are, and that there aren't that many.

I'm sure we'll get GUI tools for doing refactoring faster later on, but
the tools are enough to start now. There are a few annoying pitfalls,
but we'll never get those found and fixed unless people use the tools.
I'm sure Henrik has done so much refactoring already (btw, Thanks
Henrik!) he simply walks around those automatically.

Now the important thing is to make as many things as possible
unloadable, and then get the other infrastructure needed to modularize
the Squeak process -
* Centralized logical repository, with accounts for all contributors
* Multiple update streams for different projects
* Harvesters define configurations as a collection of versions of
different projects that are known to work to some level.

Of course, that's just how I think things should work, but all the
modularity is for nought if we don't start breaking things up into
pieces that unload.
</soap box>

Daniel