A few wish list items

Bill Schwab schwabw at sprynet.com
Wed Nov 20 16:36:49 UTC 2002

Bob,
---------------------------------
Just curious, but do you know how easy this would be to fix for your
own use? You want to see underscores rather than an arrow? Just do it.
---------------------------------

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how a one-line change is
going to correct the real problem, which is that $_ appears in the
sources as an assignment.  Put another way, is there an easy way to tell
which underscores to show as an arrow (or promote to :=) and which to
leave alone?  I'm not the first to mention this, and arguments always
come down to aesthetics, not how easy it would be to correct.

IMHO, this is one of those "little things" that helps people inclined to
dismiss Smalltalk quite happy.  I urge the community to not make it so
easy for them (and therefore more difficult no those trying to expand
Smalltalk's use).

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
bills at anest4.anest.ufl.edu