The Future of Dynapad (survey!)

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Thu Oct 24 13:41:26 UTC 2002

Tommy Thorn wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> just my two bits:
>
>> Dynapad Survey
>>
>> Q1. Do you use Dynapad now?  Are you condiering using it in the future?
>> If so, in what capacity?
>>

> No, alas. Still pending a much needed better port of Squeak to Zaurus.
> Some day.

I have Squeak on a Zaurus SL-5500.  I don't know if it is reflected in
the model number, but this is the American version, not the Japanese
version.

The SL-5500 is a Linux PDA.  I put in a 256MB SD RAM card, and loaded
XFree86 on the card.  XFree is at:

   http://killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=591
          or also at the (preferred) location of:

 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=39939&release_id=75364

The (preferred) location has the latest downloads of XFree86 and
associated "goodies", while the other site lists some better install
instructions.

I also loaded ICE from the (preferred) location above.

After loading XFree86 and ICE, I loaded the ARM Squeak VM and TinySqueak
image and changefile from:

   http://www.reasonability.net/ipaq/

I haven't (yet) tried the Dynapad image.

After doing this, I then created a shell script to start Squeak (with
the image name on the command line), and gave Squeak a "-memory 8m"
switch on the command line also (remember, the default memory allocation
for Squeak is 20MB, and the Zaurus can't allocate that much to Squeak,
so you'll get an error that it can't allocate heap memory if you omit
the switch).

Squeak worked fine when launched via the script from an Xterm from
within X-Windows.

If you want to be able to give Squeak more memory, you will need
something like the IBM 1GB Microdrive in the CF slot, and then put a
swap file on the Microdrive.  With the addition of the swap file, you
will have a larger virtual memory space.

Nevin