Envy or Store or what?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Oct 29 08:19:44 UTC 2002

Travis Griggs <tgriggs at keyww.com> said:
>This (to me) is a huge tragedy. I'm a bit more guarded about Store than
>you (as a hardcore user); I'd say Store is in the process of becoming
>cool.

Why am I not hardcore? My company depends on it - is that hardcore enough? ;-)

Coming from where I came - Java, CVS - StORE is very cool.

>Bottom line, why not just target the
>Squeak stuff at a PostgreSQL database.

That'd be nice. However, Cincom didn't exactly go through great lengths to
make StORE interoperable: the code is closed, the database dictionary is
undocumented, and there's no apparent process to change StORE; everything
is heavily dependent on VW's concepts (packages, namespaces) which are
quite like, but probably completely incompatible with, Squeak's ideas on
these topics.

Unless StORE gets open sourced or there is a similar agreement that puts both
'players' (Cincom, the Squeak community) on a level field, I think it's a
tempting, but bad, idea.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo