[Job] Squeak for NewtonOS?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Sep 9 21:45:21 UTC 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Bijan Parsia wrote:
[snip]
> > > Also, let me apologize for the goofiness of this request- I assure you,
> > > I'm not insane, just a little attached to both of my favorite computing
> > > platform- Newton OS and Smalltalk.
> >
> > A perhaps more reasonable task would be to port PocketSmalltalk, though
> > that's hardly as comfy an enviroment.
>
> I would be interested in PocketSmalltalk if and only if you could develop
> for PocketSmalltalk on the device itself.

Not as yet.

>  ATM, I know there's no IDE for
> the Palm OS version of PocketSmalltalk, but the question is more if one
> could be constructed in a straight forward way.

I suspect it can.

>  I'm not familiar with the
> PocketSmalltalk architecture- can the Compiler be packaged in a deployment
> image? Can you do an "Compiler evaluate: '3 + 4'"?

No, so first task would be to add back in Compiler and friends.

A more major task is adding various newt bindings.

However, I suspect these tasks are much easier than cutting down squeak to
work on the newt.

(It's not just "size", as I recall, but interactions with the Newt event
system.)

Given that you can develop PST programs in/from Squeak, building up a
useable system wouldn't be so unpleasant :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.