Symbian platform port

Chris Double chris at double.co.nz
Sun Sep 29 01:47:16 UTC 2002

"Frank Shearar" <frank at angband.za.org> writes:

> Is it then not feasible to write a mouse simulator that wraps the
> direction pad? I've only done a couple hours' work with the Symbian
> SDK, so I'm pretty much clueless as to its workings, unfortunately.

Yes that's possible. It's the approach I'd take first if I was doing
it. There is an 'epoc' port floating around that could perhaps be used
as the basis for a Symbian port.

I did some quick experimentation and the base Squeak spource code
compiles fine under the Symbian SDK. It's just a matter of
implementing the various platform defined functions and hopefully
getting it to work in less than 3MB.

> Would one then be able to craft a VM that didn't use a mouse? I'm
> thinking here of being able to write applications in Squeak to run
> on the phone, much as one writes Java ME apps...

It's certainly possible. I've got Io [1] working on the phone for example
which allows me to code in that language. The next release of Io will
include my Symbian support hopefully.

[1] http://www.dekorte.com/Software/C/Io/

Chris.
--