KCP call for idea, experience

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Apr 14 07:14:23 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 01:55, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> 'Smalltalk' the global variable that holds all global variables should
> be an Environment (or subclass thereof) and SystemDictionary should not
> exist. All the methods not directly to do with the use of 'Smalltalk' as
> the default or root Environment belong somewhere else.

And I take it that the Environment is then accessed as a Process
instance var or something like that? Inherited from parent processes?

Because apart from the obviously necessary refactoring in
SystemDictionary (into obliteration, I'd say ;-)), if someone is going
to clean this particular closet it might be an idea to check (just check
- you're walking the route anyway, so all I'm asking is to watch out for
some extra interesting sight seeing points) whether we cannot
alltogether remove this global thing. I think there are more projects
than 'Squeak-E' which could profit from this.