[GOODIE] Method Annotations

Roel Wuyts wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Aug 22 04:21:57 UTC 2003

On Friday, Aug 22, 2003, at 01:59 Europe/Zurich, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>
>> I would direct people's attention to Annotea (the link will be found
>> near
>> the top of the list on the left of the http://www.w3.org/ home page).
>> The point is that
>>     "annotation X is *visible* in the code when browsing"
>> and
>>     "annotation X is *stored* in the code"
>> are different and independent propositions.
>
> There is also a third proposition, which is that "annotation X is
> stored
> in the CompiledMethod".
>
> Roel's annotations are (as I understand it) invisible in the code, not
> stored in the code, and not stored in the compiled method.

No, they are visible in the code (the GUI 'merges' them in a simple way
- a small pane on the side shows you the types). I was just saying that
you do not necessarily have to keep them in the source code in order
for them to show up.

> My annotations are visible in the code, stored in the code, and stored
> in
> the compiled method.
>
> Andreas' annotations are visible in the code, stored in the code, but
> not
> stored in the compiled method.
>
> I personally think visible in the code is a good thing.  Stored in the
> code is probably, on balance, a bad thing - but that leaves the
> question
> of what to do when filing out.

Whenevery you file-out a method, you enumerate the
wherever-they-are-stored and append a doIt at the end of the file-out.
I think that is the easiest and compatible way.

> Stored in the CompiledMethod I'm of two minds about.  Once nice side
> effect is that the annotations show up when you do a #sendersOf:; I
> find
> this useful with VW pragmas, for example.  Of course this same effect
> could be achieved, with more effort, in other ways.

True, I really like that as well. On the other hand (I know, I am
stressing this) it depends on what you want to do. If this is about
adding some formatted-comments (like my types, or tagging each method
with its timestamp or developer, or ...) then you don't need to do that.

PS: Now I'm off to ESUG in Bled in Slovenia, a 10-hour drive. So hear
from you when I get there, IRL or otherwise :-)

> Avi

Roel