Q about seaside categories

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Dec 8 23:52:12 UTC 2003

Martin Kuball wrote:

>Am Montag, 8. Dezember 2003 01:39 schrieben Sie:
>

>>On Dec 7, 2003, at 12:42 PM, Martin Kuball wrote:
>>

>>>Whisker does it. And I like it very much.
>>>

>>Well, Whisker doesn't do it in a way that gives any advantage over the
>>PackagePaneBrowser - IIRC, it still only allows two levels of
>>hierarchy, it just represents them in a tree instead of with two
>>columns.  What I'd want is a fully hierarchical tree (one level for
>>each '-' in the category name) in the first column, with all of the
>>subcategories of whatever level you've selected in the second column.
>>So, if I have #('Foo-Bar-A', 'Foo-Bar-B', 'Foo-Baz'), I could either
>>select the top level 'Foo', and get all three in the second column, or
>>I could expand that node in the tree to see 'Foo-Bar' and 'Foo-Baz',
>>and select 'Foo-Bar' to get 'Foo-Bar-A' and 'Foo-Bar-B' in the second
>>column.
>>

>Sorry, don't get it. You want to have a separate view for each level? If not
>and you want to have something like the file explorer in windows with its
>directory tree, we are are alreday there. Because to me it looks like Whisker
>is exactly doing this:
>
>Foo
> |--- Bar
> |       |--- A
> |       |      |---  the classes in category A
> |       |--- B
> |              |---  the classes in category B
> |--- Baz
> |       |--- the classes in category Baz

Yes, Whisker does support an arbitrary level of nesting for the class
category names.

If Avi tried that and it appeared to not work, it's probably because
Whisker does have some problems updating itself if you add new toplevel
categories.  Opening a new Whisker browser should work, though.
(Basically, the problem is with SimpleHierarchicalListMorph... it can't
easily update itself based on changes in its model.  Someone (maybe
myself) should fix this at some point...)

btw, I do need to update Whisker for 3.6 (with all the SystemDictionary
changes)... I'm going to work on that in the next couple of weeks.

- Doug