Two important issues...

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Feb 15 13:47:33 UTC 2003

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi daniel

> On Saturday, February 15, 2003, at 02:43 AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> > I think a good way to
> > provoke more feedback would be to provide a real tutorial that doesn't
> > just show features, but explains how to do something useful, for
> > example, a walk through a small refactoring or two of a known existing
> > class. After all, that's the most important potential most people have
> > seen in Traits for - refactoring existing classes. Creating a new kind
> > of Circle doesn't speak to me at least... but I'd love to get a feel
> > for
> > how the streams refactoring is done, or something like it.
>
> There is a good web page, three papers.  We are adults. we can also
> build an example for ourselves.
You know what, you're right. I think people should learn how to use
SpaghettiTracer by themselves. We're all adults. Pfah. ;-)
Oh, come on, Stef, three paragraphs showing how to separate an existing
class into Traits? You don't really need me to explain the advantages of
proximity, right?

> > * Plan how the initial adopters will use the tool on their own
> > packages.
> > Solving the big problems in the base image (collections, streams) is
> > tempting, but it's not incremental. Start from the outside in - after
> > Avi converts Seaside to use Traits (for example), the decision to adopt
> > will seem very different.
> You are vicious ;)
Sorry. If you find a position for me in your group, I promise to be
gentle :-)

> We know.
>
> And imagine we have also classBoxes.
I'm sorry, I have no idea what classBoxes are...

Daniel Vainsencher