Object>>caseOf: (was Re: [Q] Enum style Object?)

Marco Paga mail at marco-paga.de
Wed Feb 19 10:58:33 UTC 2003

Hi all.
Using switch/case/many if's is in OO languages the sign that something
is going very wrong. The Object>>caseOf: /otherwise: should get banned
from the image. These features are aviable in Java and sometimes are the
reason why it looks like somebody could do OOP but in fact s/he is
writing just the old style.
You should start using polymorphism. You really should start using the
state pattern. Perhaps you need a bit longer to apply it but after the
first state extension you would be very happy.

If you (Eric Merritt) and others have any questions about the
implementation I will help you.

Marco