[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jul 24 19:57:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Colin Putney wrote:

> These defaults are just for convenience, though, as you can choose
> whatever name you want. The only restriction is that it must be unique
> to the repository you're saving into. Having the author initials in the
> name helps avoid name clashes between developers working in the same
> repository.

Actually, this currently isn't a strict restriction - just one that's
enforced by the file-system based repositories.  I can certainly
envision repositories (like, in fact, the DictionaryRepository used in
MC's tests) that key on the UUID and are perfectly happy to have duplicate
names.  If we ever build, say, a PostgresRepository, it'll probably work
that way too.

Avi